- Law and Order Division was set up in 1988.
- L&O Division was later renamed as Bureau of Law and Order and upgraded at par with Department with 3 Divisions:
1. Internal Affairs Division
2. External Affairs Division
3. Research and Documentation Division
- The office was again renamed as Department of Law and Order in 2016 as per approval accorded by Cabinet vide letter no. C-3/12SLZ/201.
- Following the OD exercise, the Research and Documentation Division was replaced by Explosives Regulation Division.
To uphold national security for all times to come
Coordinate and formulate policies for upholding national security, maintaining law and order and border management
- To formulate and issue policies for maintaining law and order
- To coordinate activities and formulate policy for border management
- To ensure good relations with neighboring state
- To promote common national identity and nurture national unit
- To oversee & monitor all activities that have bearing on national security